The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Mission is charged with enhancing the health and well-being of Americans by providing for effective health and human services and by fostering sound, sustained advances in the sciences underlying medicine, public health, and social services.
To support this mission, the Budget provides $82.8 billion in discretionary funding for HHS as well as new mandatory investments to expand mental health services, opioid abuse treatment availability, and research and development.
Keeping People Safe and Healthy:
This Budget makes robust investments in the safety and health of all Americans, particularly those at key stages of life by –
- Increasing access to early intervention mental and behavioral health programs, expanding the behavioral health workforce and supporting suicide prevention.
- Addressing opioid abuse, misuse, and overdose through a $1 billion initiative to expand access to treatment.
- Continuing to expand the nation’s ability to fight antibiotic resistance through targeted interventions and research.
- Supporting emergency preparedness and response, by bringing the U.S. and world partners together around natural and man-made threats, disasters, outbreaks and epidemics.
- Maintaining historic investments in Head Start and increasing the number of children attending programs of longer duration.
- Making landmark investments in child care by increasing the number of children served, investing in the quality of the child care workforce, and implementing new health and safety requirements.
Leading in Scientific Research and Medical Innovation: Scientific, technological, and medical breakthroughs are crucial for American success in the 21st century, and this Budget makes investments to maintain America’s position at the forefront of these efforts by –
- Supporting the Vice President’s Cancer Moonshot to improve understanding of the causes of cancer, develop new prevention strategies, improve early detection, diagnosis, and treatment and modernize regulatory pathways.
- Continuing to scale up the Precision Medicine Initiative and a dedicated research cohort of a million or more individuals.
- Supporting research such as the Brain Research through Advancing Innovative Neurotechnologies (BRAIN) initiative, and Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality efforts to build an evidence base to drive systemic health care improvement.
- Expanding and Strengthening our Health Care System:
Building on the success of the Affordable Care Act and other initiatives, this Budget maintains efforts to expand access to coverage, increase capacity, and build a better, smarter, healthier health care delivery system by –
- Supporting the operation of Health Insurance Marketplaces to make quality coverage affordable, and encouraging states to expand their Medicaid programs.
- Building a better, smarter, healthier health care system by incentivizing quality, rather than quantity of services, and promoting information sharing.
- Building on HHS’s ongoing work to reduce the rising cost of prescription drugs, without discouraging important and lifesaving innovations.
The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Initiatives:
- Expands Mental Health Treatment.
- Addresses Opioid Abuse, Misuse, and Overdose.
- Combats Antibiotic Resistant Bacteria.
- Provides Medical Product Safety and Availability.
- Supports Emergency Preparedness .
- Promotes Food Safety.
- Makes Landmark Investments in Child Care.
- Groundwork for Universal Preschool.
- Improving Outcomes for Children in the Child Welfare System.
- Enhances Child Welfare Workforce Development.
- Promotes Family-Based Care for Children in Foster Care.
- Strengthens Efforts to Help Poor Families Succeed.
- Supports Older Adults.
- Addresses Alzheimer’s Disease.
- Invests in Health Centers.
- Protects Against Cyber Threats.
- Invests in Necessary Infrastructure and Mission Critical Facilities.
- Advances the Precision Medicine Initiative.
Leading in Scientific Research and Medical Innovation
Grant opportunities are significant for the entrepreneur that has technologies that support these initiatives